Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Quilt of Belonging - Part 2

Yep, there I am on the left and Esther on the right!. My friends Caroll and Robin and I were agog viewing this phenomenal quilt project when all of a sudden Susan from my favorite store, YT Galleria in East Hills, stands and blocks my way!  What joy!  After we get through the 'I didn't know you quilt' dialog she admits she doesn't but this project is her sister's.  Well, as with Susan, you must meet the family and come for dinner, even though she thought I was Viola (another friend, long story)!  Esther is the one of the most calming persons I have met.  After a few delays, Viola and I arrive for a feast prepared by Susan's husband, John. At the table eating the best ever twice baked potatoes, marinated steaks and the most colorful and tasty cole slaw I've seen were Chelsea, Susan's' 20 something daughter, Carol Johnson, artist, Esther, Lanelle, Alison, Susan, John and Viola and me.  While I was the only quilter, and Esther wanted to make sure we talked about the quilt, we talked, laughed, and almost cried discussing how the quilt made us feel.  Young Chelsea was giving us the new definition of feminism, and shocked at what it originally meant.  Lanelle explained the issues of being from two different American First Peoples but only considered a half by US government standards.  Alison told us all white people look alike which gave us a long laugh.  With wine flowing and great inspiration from the Quilt of Belonging all of us had a story to tell but in the end reminding us of the hexagon symbol for carbon - the essential ingredient for life.  On the way home, after Susan's amazing trifle, my reflections were how wonderful it was to have this open conversation with no ill will or fear.  All of us had something to offer, in all it was like being transported to the early 1900's and attending a 'salon'. 

At the end just before leaving I was able to squeeze in a couple quilt questions.  The most common one I heard from my friends and visitors to the show involved packaging and shipping the quilt.  The Quilt of Belonging website gives the story of the quilt blocks and all the volunteers.  However, the traveling of the quilt across Canada and now USA presents challenges.  Esther indicated that each tassel is numbered as the coloring is directly linked to the story in each block of its row.  They drop down and are removed.  The 10.5 foot panels cannot be folded because of the hexagons.  Specially designed insulated boxes holding a suspended styrofoam roller holds each panel. Voila!  Sounds so simple....

Also, if you're wondering, no Esther does not sew or quilt, she is an artist first and foremost.  Her website is being prepared and will be launched in the near future.  She had just finished a show two days before visiting Grand Rapids and her little sister.

Esther thank you so very much for making us think and remembering we're all one and there is only one race:  the human race.


Susan showing us the wonderful trifle.....

Esther is lower left and then the rest of us, except for the early departures......

No comments:

Post a Comment