Monday, October 26, 2015

Wisha, Wooda......

The first GRMQ retreat is next week and it's my first over night travel for quilting trip.  Caroll D has lured me into Happy Scrappers, so I've become accustom to packing for a few hours of sewing - but two days....oh my.  My 24" ruler is too long for any bag I  as well as my portable ironing pad.  Then to pack my sewing basket holding my cutter, pins, threads, etc. space is needed.   While I'm only good for about 2 -21/2 hour sew sessions, my list of projects is not only long, its very thick and heavy.  To eliminate several trips of unloading a large bag is needed.  Ironically Costco has a freezer bag that can fit everything, however, it looks like small animals may have attacked the outside of it....it lays in the garage.  Thus, the "I can do that" attitude began.

With scrap pieces left over and not put away yet, I decided to make a retreat bag from my latest quilt.


 Here's where the Wisha, Wooda enters.  I wanted the bag to be padded and stiff, to protect my long ruler.  It's padded everywhere but only stiff on the sides, bottom and most of the back.  The bottom, back and top flap are one piece.  The fusible, stiff interfacing was limited, so I guessed at how to place it.  The front contains just batting.  Thus, I now wish it had stiffener as well.  Oh well!  It will still work for my needs.
 While the facings are thick, space is consumed by the thick seams, but the ruler can lay flat rather than on end, which I think will be okay.  My ironing pad/cutting board makes a great bottom and allows for its carrying handle.   With the plastic side down, waterproofing is there anyway.
For some reason I got lost along the way and  made 4 handles, when two sufficed.  I opted to attach all four and tie a knot in the center of each pair.  This way I can shoulder the bag or shorten it by a new knot for hand carrying. (Don't you just delight at how well I justify my mistakes, and I've never kissed the Blarney Stone).  While making the handles I eventually recalled a trick learned 30+ years ago from Stetch n Sew.  

For those persons unfamiliar with Stretch n Sew, it offered great methods of sewing knits during the 1960''s-late 1990's.  Short cuts and learning how to size patterns to our imperfect bodies was wonderful!  

 When making handles, belts or ties, (1) get a string. ribbon or a piece of fabric thinner and longer than what's being made.  Above, is a very long piece of twill tape ......
 (2)  Prepare the handle to the method you prefer, with right sides together.  I batted my handles so the outside fabric is on the bottom and batting on top.
 (3) Once folded in half, run the twill tape the full length of the handle, with a small bit extending on one end and a very long piece at the other end.  The twill tape runs along the fold.
 It's hard to see, but I've sewn across the top of the handle, then down the long side.
\

(4)  When done sewing the long side you're ready to pull the right sides out by pulling the long end of the twill.  It may take a few seconds to get it started but once you get the 'touch' the right sides show very quickly.   when turned carefully snip the "puller" and work the corners to a point.  It took Handle #1 about twenty minutes to pull through because laziness kept me from getting up and finding a puller.....I made and turned the other three handles in far less time than the first 20 minutes.  

While I wish I had waterproofed the outside, the bag will work fine next week.  I'm so excited to be on the Big lake for a weekend.  If interested in a day of sewing follow this link to our Facebook page outlining the  $10 fee and food requirements.  



4 comments: